A good nurse shares comfort, compassion & caring without a prescription – T. Guillemets
Elevate the quality of school nursing and provide leadership for the delivery of quality health programs for all Southwestern Ohio school children.
SWOSNA now has its largest ever membership, with representation from seventeen southwestern Ohio counties: Adams, Auglaize, Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Clinton, Darke, Greene, Hamilton, Highland, Mercer, Miami, Montgomery, Preble, Shelby, and Warren.
Message from our President
Happy March SWOSNA Members!
With the weather warming and spring just around the corner, you can’t help but feel the excitement of what will be new and fresh with the upcoming season. As we shake off those winter “blahs”, I want to share some important and exciting happenings within SWOSNA and OASN. Please read all the way through as there is much information to share.
First, our Northeast colleagues have sent out the registration link for this year’s annual conference scheduled for Saturday, April 17th. This will be a one-day event and we want to invite everyone to sign up to attend if you are able.
During the conference day, the annual business meeting will be held where we will be voting on the unification of our regions’ dues under the NASN umbrella. Our SWOSNA membership voted last winter that we were agreeable to this and now all of the OASN membership will be able to vote on this issue. What this means for all of us is that we will pay our membership dues once a year to NASN and they will distribute to OASN our dues for them and then OASN will distribute down to SWOSNA. You will see an increase in your NASN dues reflecting the others. The following chart shows what this will look like:
Proposed Dues for September 2021
Why are we looking at unification? Here are some reasons why:
- To unify school nursing voice and communications throughout the state of Ohio.
- “School Nurses are stronger together!”
- To share human, service, and financial resources to decrease the volunteer time and expense of doing business to run the state and regional organizations.
- To decrease cost, improve ease of membership dues payment and increase benefits to all school nursing individual members in the state of Ohio.
Individual Member Benefits
- ⇓ cost of regional portion of membership dues to $9.50 a year for Active members. (This must be voted in by the membership at Annual Membership Meeting.)
- ⇑ access to Nursing CE offered through all state regions, OASN, and NASN at decreased or no cost
- Free VSP Eyes for Hope gift certificates to distribute to students for free eye exams and eyeglasses
- ⇑ connection to current information on school nursing in the state and nationally through newsletters, discussion lists and e-mail alerts
- Local state regional connection to nurses in school health for social and professional networking
Regional Organization Benefits – in relation to Manpower
- ⇓ work for Regional Membership Chair
- Membership reports are tabulated, updated and maintained by NASN
- Easily downloadable
- Include member’s name, email, phone number, school district, county, credentials, etc.
- Main function of Membership Chair is to recruit and retain regional members
- ⇓ work for Regional Treasurer
- No collection of dues from regional members
- No keeping track of renewal dates
- Quarterly check received from OASN Treasurer for membership joins/renewals for previous 3 months
- ⇓ work for a regional Webmaster
- Do not need a Tech Expert for this role, just someone with basic technology skills – can even be the Secretary
- Will work with the OASN and other regional webmasters as a team/committee to update regional web pages on the oasn.org website
- Minor edits
- Very user friendly
- NASN Tech Support is FREE
- The Events Calendar on the oasn.org Home Page will include all meetings and programs offered by each region and OASN
Regional Organization Benefits – Decrease in Expenses
- Regional Websites
- Rebuilt as web pages on the oasn.org website
- No domain name charges, no domain transfer fees, no website hosting charges and no repair charges.
- Security, maintenance and tech support included in NASN and OASN dues
- OASN paid Survey Monkey available to all regions
- Discussion boards for members
- Internal emails with no public access from web pages
- One unified Events Calendar for the entire state
- Meetings/Webinars by Conference Call or Computer
- Remove cost to regions for use of OASN CE Providership services
- Assist regional boards to have conference call meetings with OASN resources
- ZOOM Meeting/Conference Platform
- PayPal Account for online payments for meetings/events
I know this is a lot of information, but I want you to be knowledgeable about what will be voting on. All of these benefits will make our SWOSNA region more efficient and offer our members a larger network of resources moving forward.
***Registration is now open for our Spring meeting/event. In January 2020, our meeting’s focus was on Emergency Preparedness and was very well-received. Many attendees expressed interest in the NASN offered School Emergency Triage Training (SETT). We have spoken with NASN and are confirmed to offer SETT on Saturday, April 24th from 8:00-3:00 at Beavercreek Middle School in Kettering. Sign-ins that morning will start at 7:30. This will be a live face-to face event with face masks required and social distancing maintained. We are hoping for a minimum of 40 participants, so if you’ve had your vaccine and feel comfortable joining us, please sign up when registration opens later in March.
If you were to take this training through the NASN website, the cost would be $90/person. We are working to find sponsorship to help reduce that cost to you. We have a couple of sponsors already lined up, but should you know of any others that might like to help with this endeavor, please let me know as soon as possible so we can reach out and hopefully get our costs down further.
Lastly, in my January letter I mentioned open Board/Committee positions available for the up-coming year. Those positions include the President-Elect, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership, Public Relations, Webmaster and Ways and Means. If you are interested or are considering, but would like more information, please reach out to me. We are planning on having a Zoom business meeting on Tuesday, April 27 from 6-7pm in order to wrap up this school year and vote on new positions. A Zoom link will be sent out to members as that meeting time gets closer.
Your SWOSNA Board hopes to see you at these up-coming events. If you know of other nurses working in schools in your area who have not yet considered SWOSNA, please reach out to them and invite them to come and see what we are about. We are only as strong as our membership and hope to continue to grow this.
Enjoy the spring weather!
Pam Buehler, BSN, RN, LSN
20-21 SWOSNA President